Wednesday, February 13, 2013

"Hunny" - a Superfood!

Today I'm gonna talk about honey. Not because I'm an expert or anything, but because I'm eating a spoonful of it at the moment, and I kinda wanted to write something food/health related tonight. (And honestly, I feel all important and stuff when I say "Today I'm going to talk about...")

God's idea of a blessing was a land flowing with milk and honey (I will talk about milk on another day) and that's good enough for me.

For those of you who don't know, I teach preschoolers at church on Friday nights for a couple of hours. We sing songs, learn bible stories, play, eat snacks...one day we were learning about John the Baptist and how he ate locusts and honey. I didn't have any locusts handy, but I did have a jar of raw honey and several spoons, which I brought. I told them that honey was something God gave us because He wanted us to be happy, then I gave them all a taste of honey on their spoon.

You would have thought I'd slipped them Ritalin. It was very quiet except for the occasional *nomnomnom* They sucked their spoons clean and requested more (No double dipping, though. Too bad for them)
The same group of kids were totally un-excited several weeks later when I hid some M&Ms in the bottom of their cup, underneath their cheese puffs (I'm still patting myself on the back for being so clever, even if they weren't excited)

Anyway, according to Jordan Rubin, author of The Great Physician's Rx,
The bible mentions honey or honeycomb more than 40 times...another first rate source of antioxidants, honey plays a role in the prevention of cancer as well as heart disease, and wipes out the bacteria that causes diarrhea. It's best eaten the way God had the bees create it: raw and unheated which preserves the naturally occuring enzymes and bee pollen."


Also, the body digests the sugar in honey more slowly, so it's not likely to cause a spike in your blood sugar.
At 120 degrees, the nutrients in honey is destroyed. I've read that it shouldn't be heated to more than 100 degrees (The highest temp that a beehive gets) but I recently heated some at 110 degrees to make some iced tea a few days ago and nothing bad happened. However, I was reminded that I don't like my tea sweetened, so it's not likely to happen again.


Uuuuh....I can't find the spell check on this thing...so please forgive any spelling mistakes :-)

4 comments:

  1. Hannah!!!! Your'e a great writer! I've enjoyed both posts! AND....I learned about honey!!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lindy. Great job and as always your lovely personality shines through in your writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know of a brand or place where you can get raw honey with the comb in it? I read that Raw Manuka Honey from New Zealand is supposed to be really good for you. Some said it is too strong tasting but we all tried it and thought it wasn't bad. A little different but not bad. I want to try buckwheat honey too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen that kind at the Health Food stores around here, but I never tried it. Mostly because I wasn't sure what to do with it...suck on the comb? Tilt head back with mouth open and squeeze? The jar doesn't come with instructions! I will get some next time I go and let you know the brand and what I think of it.

    ReplyDelete